Green Rough colored Diamond / Shall I cut it?

Hello friends,

I’ve recently bought a natural-colored green rough diamond which is about 1ct; I tried to send it to a company to polish it but all the companies that I contacted refuse to accept it, a friend says It won’t be green after polishing as the green skin is too thin.

Do you know any company or person who accepts to polish it?
How can I know if it will produce a green facet or not?

Also the rough has yellow-green fluorescence with medium intensity in the middle of the stone and faint at the outer shell (fluorescence zonation)
any comment on the fluorescence?

Thanks for your consideration,

1 Like

Can’t say for sure if it would still be green, but I don’t see why not. Your pal doesn’t know much about rocks does he? I cut stones by hand and that does not mean without a jig- it means without a machine. I use a simple Diamond plate and work them by hand. I’m doing that I can cut really small stone without breaking them and get a good polish without over cabbing. I’d try to hand cut them.

1 Like

The vast majority of green diamond rough has the color confined to a very thin layer at the surface resulting in a colorless diamond after cutting. Fluorescence in the body of the rough is meaningless. See: https://www.gia.edu/doc/GG-SP18-Breeding.pdf

7 Likes

GIA Green Diamonds Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3J62l0EpL4

3 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your precious reply

Do you cut diamonds like that? Can you cut this one?

my friend is not so experienced with green diamonds, so I decided to search and ask for more exact information

Dear Mr. Bergman,

Your valuable assistance is so precious to me.

Yeah, I exactly know what you mean as I read a couple of scientific articles about green diamonds. Also thanks for the media you shared.

I saw stones on leibish that obviously the color is just from a couple of facets in the pavilion, and the color distribution is so limited in the stone.

By the way, do you know any way to cut this stone? aside from the risk of becoming colorless

I think it’s absolutely beautiful as is in it’s natural state. You might want to consider leaving it alone and enjoy it by taking it out of it’s storage container from time to time.

4 Likes

Thanks Darrel,

Yeah, I think it’s a good way to go, but as I was looking to have a natural green facet I bought this and now it seems that no one accept to polish it, maybe I sell it to just get a green facet.

Thanks for your opinion

I think you need to explore how diamonds are faceted, the principals may be similar to faceting other gems like sapphires, but that’s where the similarity ends. You will need to look for a diamond cutter/firm and talk to them.

very informative… thanks

Very informative from a real professional…scientific data is what’s needed in this website… too often lacking with people looking for a simple quick answer by posting pictures… thanks for the reference… benefits everyone by showing that education and a self disciplined approach to the science behind minerals and gems is the starting point to understanding anything about gems… I am a geologist by avocation and study deep earth processes and geochemistry. I can’t emphasize more that people need to understand scientific data to be able to even begin to understand gems and minerals… Thanks again.

green diamonds are currently an active area of research for the GIA PhD’s… telling the difference between an artificially irradiated green diamond and a natural is difficult… but the GIA has published scientific papers on the topic and the advances in research are starting to bring methods of distinguishing artificially irradiated from natural diamonds into focus… just two years ago, it was not thought to be possible, but now it is. However, the techniques used involve expensive high tech equipment…some include X ray crystallography to determine diamond type and the relation of voids to adjacent nitrogen and hydrogen atoms, with the 3D crystal structure. This kind of testing is cost prohibitive unless you have a stone that is worth a lot…