GoSpectro Review

I would like to share my experiences with my new GoSpectro spectrophotometer.
Goylab https://www.goyalab.com/ developed a handheld spectropjotometer for the smartphone, I had been looking for a digital version to replace my handheld basic spectrometer. my first unit was lost by the French postal service but the second did finaly arrived. I have been researching using different light sources and gem holding techniques, using the spectrometer.

ortanterent
I have found that calibration is very important as with any spectrometer and the wavelengh will be different.

The software allows you to displainy one or more spectra for analysis which helps in identification of the gem in question.

My collection of gem stones is not very alsobig and I am still trying to identify quite a few of them. I use the Refractometer and the Presidium gem tester a dark field illuminator and my Leica stereo microscope.
I also purchased the Thunder optics spectrophotometer which I did show previously but that unit requires a desktop computer and is not portable.
Calibration is done with a Flourescent bulb but can be done with other light sources.
The spectrometer is attached to the smartphone using one of the adapters to fit the camera lens and the light shone at the spectrometer calibration is then performed, a gem or rough is attached to the tube with plastacine or bluetak or similar I prefer glue dots to hold the gems.
My light source is the Amscope LED spotlight which may not be the best source for spectrometry but I am still researching.
With my limited knowledge I have been trying to identify a purchase of mixed gems purchased online.

![known synthetic ruby vs rough stone|243x500]
(upload://fBbyonZwCwtKmGjWUtpGc2JGncs.jpeg)

I have been interested in using lasers to excite gems.

I hope this has been of interest if anyone is interested I will continue the review.

2 Likes

Beautiful tech device!!!
Is there a software for computer? can the spectra be saved and export?
I would love to continue to tell us more about these spectrophometers.
Thank you for sharing :pray:
Cheers
Laurentb

Thank you for your reply, yes the spectra are saved in their own folder and can be exported to other software such as spectragryph. I will continue the review as soon as I can, thanks again.
Lou

1 Like

Thanks so much for your review, I would love to continue hearing more as you continue using it.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for sharing your experience. I too would like to hear more. Is the device ID limited to a small selection of gems or can it determine most of them? There website didn’t elaborate much its capabilities.
Dave

Thank you for your response. I did ask the developer about having spectra available for most gems and they replied that they are working on that. I have found that having known gem or rough material to use as standards there is an analyze function where you can compare the unkown to the standard. I bought a gem today at a flea market that looked nice I payed 48 dollars and took a spectrum of it,

I did an RI and got 1.774 the presidium did not respond maybe due to the setting? It certainly looks as if it is a natural ruby by the spectrum but it looks like a Garnet also. more testing will have to follow when I take it out of the setting. Any thoughts?
I have found that I can distinguish synthetic rubies from natural rubies whereas before I would look for curved growth lines I new the ruby was real because it was too included or ocluded or ugly to be synthetic. I found it to be helpful when purchasing a gem but you get weird looks from people when doing the test.
Hope I have answered your question.
Lou

2 Likes

spectra was cut off

Sorry again, the ugly ruby is not the one shown above or the gem I bought today.

Today I received a Ruby from Thailand, it was a .6 carat with a dark inclusion, I took a spectrum of the stone and use the companion software from Goylab to compare this stone to a known synthetic ruby and my as mentioned pendant purchase.

The spectrum or chart shows a large absorption at around 536nm for the , ruby an this d not for the Thailand ruby this has been consistant in all my tests so far,
My pendant purchase again shows not large absorption in the 536nm region which I believe shows this to be a natural ruby but I will do a specific gravity when I unmount the gem.

I did not include the spectra sorry/

As you can see there is a large absorption in the green area.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the review, may I know how much it cost and where to get it?
Thanks