GIA using computers for diamond clarity grading

I’m curious how people feel about this?

I have seen tech like this around for a while, automated colour grading has been used by some dealers in the Diamond Bourse here in Toronto for quite some time.

It is the future, like it or not. Machines with AI will replace most of us.
:grimacing:

I’ve been selling gems and jewelry online since 1999, the one thing that I am sure of is that humans like to deal with humans.

In the early days it was novel to buy a gem online without having any human interaction, today, anything more than $2000 requires 1-2 hours or more of human time on the phone or emails.

2 Likes

There have always been disputes over the human grading and I’m sure that will continue to be the case with automated grading. Can this automated clarity grading also be used on colored gems???

I have mixed feelings about it. One the one hand, there are many untrained/unscrupulous jewelers out there, who have cheated customers for centuries. On the other hand, I think artificial intelligence is a good tool for grading, but nothing replaces the trained human eye.

I’m sure it will work, just like self-driving cars work. Many times I have to ask my clients, “Are you buying a Lab Report or are you buying a Diamond?” The machine cannot evaluate the BEAUTY of the stone as it doesn’t even have human eyes or real feelings.

1 Like

I opened a dialog with the GIA on this subject. Their initial reply has been that the instrument(s) used are “confidential & proprietary”. I informed them that this would be difficult to present to the Public as clarity grading makes a significance difference in the price of a diamond and it is necessary to always maintain their trust and confidence. I suspect it is this machine:

3 Likes

I’ve wanted something like this for coloured stones since I first started in the trade.

Nope, it isn’t this machine. It is an IBM manufactured one.

1 Like

Is this machine for sale?

Probably. You’d need to contact IBM.