Etsy gem seller requesting your opinion

I am an online merchant who sells various types of vintage and antique items, including jewelry and loose gemstones. It all depends on what I can find at a good price, and I learn as I go along. I find IGS a tremendous value in terms of knowledge.

I would like honest feedback about how a merchant who is sincere, yet with limited knowledge can best describe gemstones in a way that is straitforward.

Please have a look at the gemstones in these sections: tlgvintageart - Etsy.

This section has loose gemstones: tlgvintageart - Etsy

Thank you very much for your time and opinion.

1 Like

The Portuguese cute citrine in the second group has an awful lot of extinction. That is the darker areas that show when viewing from the top. That shows that almost 50% of the light that should be trapped inside the stone has leaked out thru the oversized table and lack of attention to angles and facet meets.
You let the customer judge the stone for themselves by not mentioning this when you could pay a little more attention to the quality of what you buy and your pricing. We used to say that a stone with this type of defect was worthless. In truth some people will buy it anyway but it is certainly poor value for the money asked. I wouldn’t sell that stone for any more than $20 retail. Properly see you there! that stone would dazzle. Pity

1 Like

If you want to sell that citrine for $20, I’m a buyer. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I think that you need to be a little careful about things being in ‘excellent condition’ I can see that the ‘silver’ bracelet which isn’t silver has some garnet in it, but, I can also see some chips. You are almost certain to have issues with it if/when it sells.

It is a very hard aspect of the business deciding what something is worth. I want to start faceting my own collection but I am afraid being a beginner I’ll ruin something unknowingly or do something incorrectly.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies. There were a few lots of gemstones available from an estate liquidator I normally buy from. As you can see from my Etsy site, I sell many types of things. Buying the gemstones has provided me with an opportunity to learn more about them and their market value. At least my customers can return the items for a refund if they are not happy.

Hi Skyjems. Could you please let me know which bracelet you think is not silver and has a chipped garnet? I do test the precious metals using acid, but I might have overlooked a chip. Thank you for your time.

Shandy, please don’t be afraid to experiment. We learn through experience, and the best lessons often come from mistakes. Take calculated risks to minimize the loss.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right, I never looked at it like this. Plus a honest mistake can easily be remedied as you pointed out. I need people like you closer lol… I have collected so much and have many ideas but I always second guess myself.

1 Like

I’ve found that in business, if you are honest and make good on your mistakes, that counts for a lot. Mistakes can be painful and expensive, but being human we all make them. Most people can understand an honest mistake. Antique / vintage dealers, like other sellers, even very experienced or knowledgeable ones can goof up now and then.

1 Like