Eithiopian Opals

I have been in the gem and jewelry business for 35 years and started to buy and use Eithopian opals a few years ago. Some of them turn an orangy color over time. Does anyone know what this is due to? I have not been able to get an answer from any of the vendors I have purchased from.

I also have been collecting and selling Ethiopian Opals for about 3 years + and I do own some orange colored Opals. These Opals were orangy when I purchased them with very nice color.
I have not seen any change color at all. Could it be the way you are storing them, or is something coating them and the coating is turning? I would try to cut one of the opals that are orangy and see what is inside.Take a little off top or bottom and just re-polish when finished.
just a thought hope it helps,
Sean

I have been cutting opals for 35 years now and the only time I have had an opal turn color on me is when it has been treated with stablizers or soaked in oils. I have had some clients and friends bring stones to me and tell me that the beautiful opals they had at one time has gone orange or dull. When I asked what they had done they state nothing other than soak it or nothing at all. I have removed the stones from settings and done a complete polish and brought most back to life. Some opals will absorb oils and chemicals from the environment that they are which is quite rare. Not many people wear opals in the oil field and expose them to the chemicals like I did. NOT PRETTY:roll_eyes:
If you getting all of your stones from one supplier I would suggest trying a new supplier. Personally, I purchase raw uncut and cut my own to fit my settings that I may make. It’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get, they are all good. I prefer Thorntons from England I don’t look at the little book that lets me know what is what. More fun that way. Live adventitious.
All the best,
Otter