EGI diamond lab?

I know there has been controversy with the EGL labs and overgrading diamonds, but I just got burned by EGI. I bought a ring from someone who needed the money (due to economy) so I’m not going to try to get my money back…but the EGI certificate said the diamond is 2.75ct. The certification is valid and checks out on their website but when I got the diamond I thought it looked small. I took the diamond out of the setting and it measured 8.1mm and weighed 2.2ct. A far cry from what the certification said. I tried to contact the lab and there is no contact information at all. Are they out of business and only have their “report verification” site up? Does anyone know how to contact them?
Thank you,
Ashlea

Just remember one thing, A CERT IS ONE PERSON’S OPINION ON ANY GIVEN DAY!!! It is not a legal document and WILL NOT STAND UP IN COURT!!! None of the big gem labs, you know who they are… will not back up any cert or report that they write,PERIOD!!! If you read the back of their paperwork you will find that disclaimer printed there!

Understood. I have read those disclaimers before but I thought they had some sort of integrity. I am obviously wrong.

Do the dimensions of the stone match the report? While EGL is generally off by a color or clarity grade, I have not seen them off on weight before besides maybe .01ct. Weight is a very standard thing - color and clarity are not.

Error possible since they would not remove stone as you did.They would estimate in setting,a calculatlion error is very possible.

Strange opinions of many colleagues about gemological laboratories and their responsibility?
I do not know how EGL, but the GIA is also responsible and responsible for its actions, as well as SSEF and many others.
Even I, being an expert gemologist for over 12 years and graduates of many gemological schools. issuing my independent gemological report, I keep a register, I am responsible for my words and for what is written in the report and I don’t understand where such aversion to us, to experts comes from.

2 Likes

Agreed.
I understand about the “disclosure” they are talking about- it is found on all certificates, and even on my own. That doesn’t mean I don’t stand behind the information given in my information. I am a GIA certified diamond graduate.

To say that the GIA doesn’t stand behind their opinion is nonsense. I know people at the GIA lab and they do indeed stand behind their opinions and valuations- which is why insurance companies count on them to give an honest opinion and not write over-values on their paperwork. Additionally, why would you pay hundreds of dollars for a highly-esteemed and trusted lab to give a report they won’t stand behind?

It doesn’t make sense. My original question was on the EGI. If you look at this website, there is no contact information at all. I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with them or had contact information.

Thank you.

It is not EGL, it is EGI. And no, the stone on the report had no mm measurement. The carat weight said 2.75ct. The stone measured at 8mm and weighed 2.25ct. I know the stone was not “switched” either and is the original stone that was sold with the certificate.

The stone had not been removed. It is the original stone that was sent with certificate. I know that for sure.

After speaking with a few more people, that disclaimer doesn’t work in the case of fraud. In this case, the diamond was in fact the original diamond and was not switched. I can prove that. Also, the photo matches the ring and description with the exception of the diamond carat weight. No diamond mm measurement was given on the certificate.

So yes, those disclaimers hold true as far as objective valuation. They allow a certain amount of leway as far as color and clarity opinion; however, the legal question is: “Would any reasonable gemologist from any school or background measure the carat weight differently?” The answer is NO. We all measure carat weight the same- with a scale. And if the diamond was already in a ring, and had to be estimated we would measure the diamond at 8mm with a proportional depth, and use the chart to document an estimated size accordingly. An 8mm round diamond is NOT a 2.75ct diamond on anyones size chart.

So yes, those fancy wordy disclosures may hold up in court, EXCEPT in the case of fraud. My husband is a DA. He said there isn’t a prosecutor or judge alive who wouldn’t look at that certificate and the ring and not agree it is fraudulent. That disclosure is garbage and offers absolutely no protection when it comes to “duping” a customer or sending false papers with a diamond.

1 Like