Easy test for copper in tourmaline?

Copper bearing Tourmaline can only truly be verified with advanced gemological testing equipment. The test is for trace elements that include Copper & Manganese that cannot be detected by any other simple or common test or equipment. While Mozambique Copper & Manganese bearing tourmaline commonly have a rutile like inclusion those inclusions are not copper, an indication of copper nor an exclusion of Copper & Manganese trace elements within the stone. For a tourmaline with trace elements of Copper & Manganese to be considered, in the trade, a Paraiba Tourmaline the stone must not only have those trace elements, but, also must fall into a certain color range, tone & saturation to be considered a Copper & Manganese bearing Paraiba tourmaline. A stone that is very light Green Blue or Purple Pink that contains both Copper & Manganese trace elements is a copper bearing tourmaline but not a Paraiba tourmaline and a tourmaline that is in the proper range of color, tone & saturation for a Paraiba tourmaline that does not have Copper & Manganese trace elements cannot be called a Paraiba tourmaline either. As for which of the three regional sources a Paraiba tourmaline comes from, Brazil, Nigeria or Mozambique only advanced gemological testing can with great probability determine origin.
Hope this cover everything & if not just ask away

1 Like

A sure way to tell if a tourmaline has copper is to look at the spectrum. If it’s copper bearing, you’ll see absorption starting at 630 nm and extending to beyond 920 nm. I use an IGI Challenger and MDM which can display the spectrum to beyond 1000 nm, but even with an OPL or Prismatic spectroscope, you will see the beginning of the absorption starting at 630 nm. If it’s an iron bearing stone, the absorption band will start at 680 nm and extend to 800 nm.

Keep in mind that the presence of copper doesn’t ensure it’s a Paraiba tourmaline, since a minimum amount of copper is required (1.4% ?) for it to earn that designation. That would require mass spectrometry, or some other more complicated test to determine.

1 Like

The copper & manganese can both be seen on a spectroscope, although the cheaper ones may have trouble resolving the manganese line at 498 nm. This is further complicated by iron bearing stones having an absorption band at 504 nm. The easy demarcation, that even the lowly OPL can show is that copper bearing tourmalines will show absorption starting at 630 nm to the end of the visible spectrum, whereas for iron bearing ones, the absorption starts at 680 nm. I don’t personally consider the use of an OPL or Prismatic spectroscope to be an advanced technique, but I know many are intimidated by them.

Thanks for your excellent information on Paraiba vs. non-Paraiba tourmalines!

1 Like

I am just not sure your typical in home spectrometer can detect those lines and was referring more to the Energy-dispersive X-ray fluorescence (EDXRF) and UV-Vis spectroscopy required to confirm the presence of copper within the material, as well as the material’s cause of color. Those tests combined with Laser ablation–inductively coupled plasma–mass spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS) chemical analyses to detect elements such as copper & manganese are really what I was leaning towards to indicate those trace elements and determine origin, most of which are typically only found in advanced labs.
On a side note I have not seen anything discussed on Color Change Paraiba Tourmaline anywhere on the forum and I am typically shunned for such a claim they exist. I was wondering what insight you might have on that type of gem and how rare they may be. See GIA report number 2175771727

As I’ve stated, even the lowly OPL spectroscope (which I consider almost a toy) will clearly display the definitive copper absorption band starting at 630 nm. Since the OP was looking for an easy test for copper, this is really the only way that I know of, short the more advanced tests you delineate, that an individual can determine the presence of copper in tourmaline. If this test is positive, then I recommend sending the stone to GIA or some other competent lab for further analysis. The mere presence of copper doesn’t make the stone a Paraiba and the advanced tests are required to determine that.

I don’t really have any insight into color change Paraiba Tourmalines, sorry.

Just because it came up in the discussion … I have a 9.6 carat known “Paraiba Tourmaline” (GIA - Tourmaline Origin Report on it) and the stone appears bluish-Green through my Chelsea Filter. The stone is a nice Scope Mouthwash color in room light. :smiley:

We need a better term than ‘Scope Green’, I just don’t see that being terribly successful as a marketing tool. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I have to agree with you on the “Scope Green” monicker. :rofl::rofl::rofl: I have had clients come up with some odd color names but not this one yet.
All the best in figuring out a better name.
Otter