Dark Sapphire

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if dark sapphires are valuable and how much they are a carat? Please
Thank you
Jackee

You would have to define your term “dark sapphires” bit more before a really good answer could be given…if you mean a sapphire that is transparent, but so dark that no light returns from a well faceted gem, I can tell you that a grade 5 sapphire nets about 10% of what a grade 10 sapphire is valued at. So if we’re talking about an inky blue sapphire of 1 to 2 cts, we’re probably talking about $150/ct or less. Bear in mind that an inky sapphire might respond to heat treatment, if it hadn’t been treated already, and it might lighten and be worth more…

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Yes I do need to clarify myself. I mean a dark blue sapphire that light can pass through with a cab cut and approximately 3 to 4 carats,
Thank you

This is a little different question. But still, the issue is: how dark and how transparent? A photo in normal room light or outdoor light (specify) would help.

1 Like

Hi,
thank you for asking these questions I am learning something fun. This is one of the things i enjoy and its a wonderful hobby.
A deep blue or dark navy blue sapphire, is this a better description.
thank you

The problem with verbal descriptions is that they are pretty subjective. My idea of deep blue and yours might be different and with some gems, a shade here or there might be worth $1000/ct or more. There are also the issues of transparency and inclusions and shape and polish, which also influence value. What you might do is go to some sites that sell sapphire, such as GemRockAuctions, and look at what’s on offer. I’m not sure whether it is possible to see sold items or not, but at least the asking prices would give you some idea of value. Most cabochons are stones which are not transparent enough to make good faceted stones, so a typical cab might give you a good idea of the value of yours. Looking at GemRockAuctions just now, I see 4 ct deep blue sapphires going for about $300-$400. YMMV.

1 Like