Could it be a realy Alexandrite

I have some stones that were bought in Alexandria Egypt in the 1970´teens.I have been told that is Alexandrite stones. Is it possible for me to send a picture so some experts could look at it. My stones are green in daylight and bright reddish in night light.
Kindest regards
S.T. Vinther

Yes, a photograph would be most helpful.
Alexandrite is a personal favorite of mine so I’m always willing to take a look at one

Hi DevynL73578

This is my first time posting on the forum. So it’s a pleasure meeting you ( virtually ). I also have some Alexandrite pieces that I recently inherited along with over 1500 other precious gems. My mum lives in Greece and we had family members that came from Russia, Mesopotamia areas. With so many different gems it’s very difficult to know what to do with them. The idea was that I would have inherited them after my mum passed away. She decided instead that as I reached 50 years old she would like me to use them now. The ones I have are from the Ural Mountain region where my Grandfather was before going to Greece. There are Blue, Purple and I have a couple of green ones. All change to a beautiful pink/red colour in Candle light as I’ve purchased the multi spectrum light. How would you suggest that I display my huge collection of various gems on the forum ? They really are lovely I don’t have any daughters lol :joy: so I’m thinking about putting them on here and if people are interested I’m going to sell a large amount of all the different gems. As you mentioned you like Alexandrite I thought I would introduce myself. Hoping I’ve posted correctly. It’s great to be a member. Regards. Phil

2 Likes

Good morning, Phil. It is a pleasure to meet you as well.
It sounds like you have quite the collection, Russian Alexandrite really is the crème de la crème. Russia was where alexandrite’s were originally discovered back in the 1830s but the source has since dried up and seeming’s as they are considered the finest quality alexandrite, Russian ones really command a premium price.
As for displaying them on the forum, it’s always hard when people take a group picture because then you can’t really see the quality of each stone, so perhaps take some good individual photos of the finer specimens or type up a list of the different gem species you have.
As for selling, there is, if you so desire, another forums page dedicated to buying and selling gems.
if you scroll to the top of the page there should (At least on mine there is) be a blue box that has links to different forums and the one should say “If you have gem/equipment/supplies to sell, click here.”
Hope some of this was helpful.
Glad you introduced yourself.

Kind Regards,
Devyn

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your wishes and welcoming message.

I have to say I joined the Gem Society as a full member for the year as I just have got so many different gems I’ve just been learning.

Some of the rare gems range from Sphenes, Ceylon Spinels, Milky Quartz with emeralds inside, Diamond Quartz with petroleum inside. I’ve got the regular ones too and various rubies, emeralds, tanzanite, black diamonds, amethysts, tourmalines, ammolite, black Honduras Opal, garnet, sapphires, Topaz, various pearls, blue alkali Beryl the list goes on.

Here are a couple of pictures that I managed to get that are quite clear.

2 Likes

No “expert” would ever determine a gem by just a picture. You say the stones were bought in Alexandria, Egypt? That would just be a coincidence of names as the gemstone is not named after this city.

2 Likes

Unless you have the capacity to take very detailed macrophotographs, no one can tell you whether your stones are alexandrites or some other natural color change species or some synthetic. Very good photos would tell something, but no one would be able to certify your gems without a first hand look at them. I suggest you have a gemologist in your city look at them and render an opinion. If they seem to think that they are natural alexandrite with a good color change, then it would be worthwhile to send them to GIA or another premium lab for an official ID. Once you have that, you can determine a value fairly easily, and get an appraisal so that you can sell them if you wish. Natural alexandrite with a good color change is quite rare and valuable, so it would be worth it to seek out an expert opinion.

2 Likes

STV19754, I do hope for your sake it truly is Alexandrite. It also could be a good color change diaspore. Turkey is just across the Mediterranean. Either way it sounds beautiful.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bob