Certification of gemstones

This stone weighs 2.73g and I believe it to be a ruby. I have no papers or knowledge as to its origins but can assure everyone it is not stolen. There is no certification attached to the stone which I`m sure affects its value. I am in the process of having the stone assessed. Is there a way to obtain appropriate certification in order for it to be sold at a higher value?

If I was to make any suggestion it would be find a registered gemmologist appraiser in your area. 2.73g would be about 13.65 ct which, if it’s a natural ruby would sell for a decent sum.

Without any further information on the stone though I would definitely be suggesting someone from the GIA, Gem-A, CGA, or equivalent to identify the stone as ruby first. If it is you might also want to send it to AGL or GIA for an origin report as certain rubies sell for higher amounts depending on where they come from if it’s a natural.

Keep in mind, lab-created rubies have been around since the late 1800s so for that size of stone I would be very suspicious of if it was real or not.

1 Like

Thank you Inaheim for your prompt and informative reply

If I were you I would do some informal checking of on line prices for rubies similar to yours before deciding on any further valuation efforts…from what I can see your ruby, altho’ roughly faceted (?), is a cab grade stone with little or no translucency. The hue is not a prime color, either. I see star rubies of similar color and opacity for sale for about $10/ct…the last time I looked at stones like this was over ten years ago at a gem show and they were about $6/ct then. Even an appraisal from a local gemologist is likely to cost $150 or so (?) and a report from GIA or one of the other premium national labs would be more, maybe $300 or more. If I’m correct in my off the cuff assessment, spending $150+ for the evaluation of a stone worth at best $150-$200 does not make sense. We all like to believe we’ve discovered a bonanza in a drawer or at a flea market, etc., but such is seldom the case. It usually takes quite a bit of education and effort to profit in gems, plus a few educational losses along the way. -royjohn

1 Like

Your photo shows a very low quality gemstone, which even if it is ruby is worth less than the cost of a credible gem lab report. It is quite easy to find better quality and larger on eBay for $10 or less per stone.

1 Like

All advice is noted with thanks and appreciation. Cheers

Thanks royjohn. I have 10 of these stones… theyve been stored in a warehouse along with a load of other stones for 15 years and Im trying to make sense of it all

I dont have many stones & the pendents only number about 40 items, not a large collection. I can tell you all the stones were bought on auctions the middle of the night or direct dealings with the cutters/sellers. I was buying stones usually below wholesale. I researched, asked questions & got good lab reports. The appraisals in most cases were amazing & really did compliment my collection. A few stones did not show as pictured, photo shopped, & were returned no problem. This post is about certification, Im posting an appraisal with rubies, diamond, sapphire & paraiba tourmaline. All the colored stones are lab certed as untreated. All the stones are good quality with the tourmaline being flawless class & a slight greenish tint in the windex blue color. The goldwork is complementary to the stones. At least 4 other appraisers have viewed this item & the assessed value is the lowest of the group on this appraisal. My cost of this piece is less than $20,000.00 total with a time of about 2 yrs. When I usually talk to people about my pendents, they usually do not look at my face, they stare at the pendent in most cases. I take it as a

compliment. I do get many questions with selling items, how they are made, actual value, etc. To end, I do know certification-steve…

https://www.google.com/search?q=&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CdihBR23Us5IIkAo4Qzyt5Tk9LWYmNVROCCy2HZSmGYs-fVULeh9ZjF6FlqIVwIba2e1L_169cIO9tHy0ocT6N3i_1QB_1czbpzx3ceKhIJKOEM8reU5PQRhdXL1gLN5P4qEgm1mJjVUTggshEEmec706baeCoSCdh2UphmLPn1EezB96TROUhmKhIJVC3ofWYxehYRqWvKMhh8WJUqEglaiFcCG2tntREjwDpeItpOdCoSCS_1-vXCDvbR8EWrRhMT6C02fKhIJtKHE-jd4v0ARMbaHvTOoRQUqEgkf3M26c8d3HhGWsCJGoSEwd2FXyc6sOh49PA&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP7_u6oqbzAhWZzjgGHa_0ByQQuIIBegQIARA9&biw=320&bih=414&dpr=1.5#imgrc=CeXT9lwsmswd8M

It is a red Burmese ruby I have left you a link to get details and pricing