Carmeltazite

Hi-
I would like to know what the specifications are that a certified gemologist would utilize to authenticate a carmeltazite gemstone.
Thank you,
Mel Brown

Hi Mel, There isn’t too much known about the mineral carmeltazite at this time. This entry in Mindat has information. A few years ago we also had a longer Forum post regarding this material. Keep in mind that so far, carmeltazite has only been found as microscopic crystals within other minerals, such as corundum. You would need the ability to analyze microscopic inclusions to try to identify this material. Also, keep in mind that some stones are being marketed as “Carmel Sapphires” because these sapphires from Mount Carmel are said to contain carmeltazite, but the Carmel Sapphires themselves aren’t the carmeltazites. They’re just corundum with inclusions.

2 Likes

Bless your Heart!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!
I was just now in the process of canceling my membership! I was starting to feel like I had entered a domain that was way over my head and that I really had no business “here”!!
I pretty much came to the same conclusion that you provided me with (i.e. through my amateur-searching “all over” the internet). It was a pleasure to read your kind and informative reply to my inquiry.
Happy Holidays and wishing you and family all the Best in 2024!
sincerely,
Mel Brown

pshancez is 100% correct. Carmeltazite is exceeding rare and dosen’t occur as crystals large enough to cut… in fact they are microscopic when found free. “Carmel Sapphire” is what is on the market… corundum with carmelzalite inclusions… the closest mineral analogue is Allendite, from the Allende meteorite, where Scandium replaces zinc.

don’t be discourage about being over your head. start slowly and learn the basics first. your knowledge base will expand rapidly once you have learned the basics. The basics are mineralogy and rocks. Most gems are pure minerals, with only a few, like lapis lazuli being rocks. If you are to pursue this area in depth, a couple of books are invaluable. The updated Dana’s mineralogy text, Simon and Shuster’s Field Guide to Minerals and Rocks, and the companion Simon and Shuster’s field guide to gems… these books will give you the chemistry, physical properties, crystal groups and optical properties of mineral crystals. cystallography can be quite compilcated and mathematical but it’s not completely necessary to understand symmetry groups and Bravais lattices to study gems…The geologic setting that generates gem minerals is something that you will need to familiarize yourself with. All of this takes time if you want to go into gemmology in depth. I know a lot of the science behind rocks and minerals but still have little knowledge about the current gem market. There’s always a lot more to learn. Follow your interests and see where it takes you… don’t give up