I bought this at auction yesterday for $10. It seems like an unusual piece to me. I have seen golden rutile stars, and quartz with tourmaline (which is what it looks like to me) but I’ve never seen tourmaline form in a star in quartz.
I was also thinking maybe Hollandite, but the star is much larger and developed than what I have seen in typical Hollandite.
Any aid in identifying and placing a value on this piece would be greatly appreciated!
Info given from auction:
- Title: 2.40 Ct Natural Rutile Quartz Oval Cab
- Stone Clarity: Transparent
- Gemstone: Natural Rutile Quartz
- Carat Weight: 2.4
- Size/Dimensions: 11.00 x 8.00 x 4.10 mm
- Additional Information: Excellent Oval Cabochon / Very Good Luster / Origin - Brazil / Hardness - 7.0 / Treatment - None-Unheated