Can a print be a fossil

The one pic looks like a hoof print or lobe part of an ear as the other pic looks like a small head of a hoofed animal or something.

2 Likes

What a big piece. I would think not being a fossil. Its an indention.

Ya when I grabbed it the indentation was almost perfect side to side and front to back kinda like a hoof, not sure what would make it but something did, if your able to zoom in it looks like two points on front and the two on back.where the hoof would come together. It’s also cupped inside like what ever put pressure on stone it filled the void in it’s hoof. I do agree that it’s most likely not a hoof but resembles on very well. Thank you for responding. If you want different pics let me know. Thanks

This discussion showed up in my “recommended reads” list.

Can you describe where the stone was found?

Initial observations from the images:

1. Erosion patterns/shape looks to be from water and/or wind.
  2. Thin membrane material (tan colored) looks to be hydrothermal deposits of calcite or quartzite.
  3. Indentation seems to be an exposed stone within the host material.

From these observations, the host material looks like welded tuff with an exposed aggregate stone internal. Knowing the location where this found could help in its identification.

Thanks!

Troy

In the lower left there appears to be some small white, plaster like markings. It’s hard to see in the pic, but it looked like what in bead collecting is sometimes called “calcification” (which is not a very good term for a number of reasons). There may be a similar term with gemstones, I don’t know, but if you image aearch for the bead equivalent you can probably find pics of what it looks like. If that’s what those marks are and if you send closeups and share where it’s from, I may have some ideas of what it is.