Australian Tourmaline

Hi all I am geologist involved in a group of friends who have discovered a sizeable patch of tourmalines in Australia. Mainly greens, blues and some purple. Lots of nicely terminated crystals up to 10cm long and no inclusions in many of them. Some look like high value stones as seen on various gem selling websites. So the next step is we would like to have them cut. It looks like we can mine quite a lot of these Therefore has anyone any recommendations on whether we should send these overseas to be cut. Say Sri Lanka or Thailand. I am happy for any type of input as I am new to gems.

1 Like

Anything comparable to paraiba in blue I have clients. I also deal directly with one of the owners of La Pita Emerald Mine in Colombia. We are serious.

Hey Wa Gold Geologist,
So basically this question’s answer will depend on your purpose - usually we feel Australians are very patriotic about their own mined gemstones, we know this through the Australian sapphires we sell wholesale. Moreover, tourmaline is not a cheap stone so it does come under the precious stones (we strong dont believe tourmalines or tanzanites are semi precious stones, except for custom purposes) and we would like to say that you can get them cut because that would be nice to have someone cut and polish while you mine them to get a certified source which is traceable.
We also take in cutting projects and we have been getting alot of Americans and Australians send us their material to cut in our factory in Thailand.
If you have any questions please read on us about gemstone lapidary services we provide here.
But before contacting us please make sure to do your research about the tourmalines and selling places in Australia considering the Covid-19 situation would have impacted the market a bit.
Regards
Navneet

1 Like