Australian Chrysoprase

Hi, just for interest to you fellow Community enthusiast, this is chrysoprase from Marlborough in Queensland, Australia, unfortunately there is not much left, it has had a lease on it for some 40 years and the majority is sent overseas and sold as Australian Jade.

3 Likes

I have some of this , it cuts beautiful stones and looks great set in gold .

I have had a chunk of this material for about 40 years and one side of it is DRUSY! Had a gem dealer tell me “No such item exists”, so I bet him $50 and took his money the next day.

4 Likes

I have seen what is purported to be Jadeite Jade set in jewellery for sale online and I am certain it is chrysoprase

2 Likes

I have about 20 lbs left still but I have found there are pockets and pits in it here and there. Not a problems for smaller stones 20 carats and under but larger stones you might see some pits.

1 Like

Yes it is very difficultly lt to get pieces that do not have pits etc like most gem material there is only a small percentage of top quality material

1 Like

Chrysoprase is still abundantly found in the tailings of many nickel mines in Australia. While the Chinese have certainly shown an investment-appetite with rare-earth and nickel, it is certain that long-time rock-hounds among us can still get their truckload free.

Equally, rough chrysoprase is readily available by US sellers in bulk dirt cheap

Hi Chrysoprase is like any other gemstone it has quality from A to Z tell me if you see any quality like I originally posted because I would doubt the mountain of chrysoprase is but thanks for sharing

1 Like