Alexandrite?

I have an 8 or 9 carat Alexandrite that has been in our family since the late 1800’s. It was my great grandmother’s engagement ring. It changes from a blue green to deep purple. Could this be anything other than an alexandrite? Based on the color change properties and the length of time that it has been in our family, I am beginning to believe that it really is an alexandrite.

Curiouser and curiouser…

Any input would be greatly apprieciated.

I have a “Blue John” fluorite that changes from deep blue to deep purple depending on the light. This article from IGS says,

“An English fluorite with an alexandrite like color change (pink-blue) has been reported, as has similar material from Cherbadung, Switzerland.”

This is a reply about alexandrite, Im posting pictures of my pendent because the pics show the color-change as noted in most books about this material-that is green in daylight, to a red in candlelight, most examples are greenish to a purple/reddish color under proper light conditions. My pendent has been checked by many different appraisers, certified, & one of the stones was sent to AGL with very good results. My stones are considered good overall, not the top but very nice examples of the color-change material, the pendent is in 14kt white gold, 1.5" in diameter, & contains over 24cts. of natural alexandrite-steve…

1 Like

Hi,
Couldn’t be color change garnet, could it? I think the blue to red color change garnet wasn’t discovered until 1998 in Madagascar. Just taking a guess here…
Regards,
Lynne

More than likely it is a synthetic flame fusion color change stone. It would be unusual to have a stone of that size. Flame fusion synthetics have been around since the 1800s. Take it to someone who has gemological equipment and have it tested to confirm.