Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Advice for a newbie

Hi, I am interested in getting into the gemstone business.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Hi,
There is no advice other than you are going to spend a lot of money and lose a lot of money more than likely before you become even slightly established… I would do one of the courses on this site or find a reliable person that will give you advice maybe even help you to purchase. You also need to decide where you want to be… rough, cut or buying rough to cut… and do not skip on the cutting get a decent cutter poorly cut stone is nto saleable.

If you don’t run your own business at the moment or if you do you’ll get what I’m trying to tell you. It also really depends on what aspect of the business you’re interested in. It’s a wonderful fascinating rewarding and invverating business. Just be prepared to spend countless hours with out any income it could take years I’m not trying to discourage you in anyway you asked and I’m being honest. Good luck in your future endeavours

Steven

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Just a question though, do you think it’s a business that you will lose a lot of money first, before you become even slightly established? Is it worth the risk though?

Hi Lat,

Thanks for your honest feedback.

I am not in the business yet, but really considering it at the moment. Just want to have an idea if it’s worth all the time, or has the gemstone business died down.

Well I personally think it is, gemstones are fascinating and you do get “gem fever” I don’t know what experience you have but if little then I would take a look at the IGS course or a similar course, go around local dealers and try to engages them in conversation and hopefully it will impart useful information to you. Be careful there are a lot of shrks in the water. Try to find someone genuine to deal with if you are buying,

I am learning and taking courses. But do you know where is the best supplier of gemstones? China?

Personally I would not restrct myself to one country. Though in truth I do not know anyone in China, one in Hong Kong in a small way but i buy rough from all over. That way you have a chance to get the best quality and the best prices. I do not know where you are based but if I can help in the future give me a shout. my mail is hello.2@live.co.uk
Chris