3 sapphires comparison

Hi,

I am being offered three heated sapphires for the same price. Aesthetic preferences aside, i am curious to which one of these stones would have the most value? The smallest is royal blue 1.3 carat 7.5 x 5.5 mm, the two larger stones are 2.6 and 3.1 carat are both about 9 x 7.5 mm. They all look eye clean to me.

Your middle stone looks like the winner here. Substantially more flash from the crown, and the over-all cut looks to be better as well. Perfect for a nice ladies pendant, ladies ring, or gentleman’s ring.

The top, smaller stone has the best color, but size-wise has a bit less versatility, and is better suited for a ladies ring

Your bottom stone is a nice strong blue, but looks like it was cut more shallow compared to the middle stone. This results in not having as much flash, but holds more of its internal color better. This one would be better in a gentlemans ring.

4 Likes

I agree, I did end up picking the middle stone. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

I am not saying your wrong I am just asking. As a Gemologist and now a Cutter, why the middle one when its crown and pavilion are obviously not centered. That was the first thing I noticed, even without seeing the side view. Granted the first stone has color that is almost TOO perfect but it faces-up well. When I was working in the retail end of jewelry, there is no way that a client would want a sapphire that far off center.
I am here to learn.

1. Middle stone gives more shades of blue in its light play while the top and bottom stones don’t return as much light, and are visually less interesting.

2. I am not convinced that the stone itself has a bad cut. Rather it could be an issue with how the stone is sitting on the mirror in relation to the camera that makes it look off. The other two also start to look off when you look specifically at alignment between the stone and the reflection. These misalignments can be explained via a bad camera angle, the stone not sitting on a central facet putting one side closer to the mirror than the other, and a number of other things.

1 Like

Also keep in mind. Professionals & enthusiasts see the details faster than the average consumer. The consumer is more likely to go after the “Oh, pretty” first, then technical precision second.

1 Like