Stone with Smell of H2S

Hii there… I recently happen to find a stone which on rubbing on quartz produced rotten egg smell, as I dint expect it to happen I tried it over and over again just to get the same smell again and it gave out the similar H2S smell… Kindly share your views if u came e across something like this…

It would be helpful to know more about the stone you’re trying to identify. Size, color, origin, SG, RI, etc.
But yes, many of the mint garnets I have ever cut have a sulfur smell while cutting. However, many minerals contain sulfur, so this detail along is not sufficient to identify a stone with any certainty.

Hi. If the stone produced this smell on rubbing on quartz, think about fluorit… hardness 4 and more heavy than quartz…

Thank you so much for the info…
I will try sharing the photos…

Thank u Sir… Sure will try sharing some pics with you…

If it’s yellow, orange or green it could be Sphalerite. I cut a lot of Sphalerite which is an awesome stone with high RI but too soft for a ring.

1 Like

Lapis will give the same result since it is basically Limestone, Calcite and Pyrite that has been exposed to a sulfuric enviroment…