So about lab grown

So is it possible to make a conglomerate gem stone? From natrual.
Or would you destroy some of the stones because of heat difference in melting points?
Or use a modified bomb that u can control each temp in each chamber till a certen point the allow them to some how all enter in to a heated but cooling down chamber. Of course I understand the bomb u use a seed and it grows from it. But with the right chems and setup you think it’s possible?

Hmm…Would you be wanting something that looks like “Fordite” when finished?

Hi Jacob.

That is an interesting question. The answer comes from Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology in Geology.

There will be a crystallisation sequence that will depend on the bulk composition of the melt, the temperature and pressure. Surface pressure of 0 is unusual geologically for gemstones - so you may not get the results that you are seeking. Diamonds for example typically form at >150km depth in the mantle at a pressure of 15 Gigapascals (150,000 atmospheres) or more.

In geology - there are thermodynamic models that predict the order of crystallisation and track the melt composition which changes after crystallisation of minerals begins. There are also numerous phase diagrams that show the stability fields of certain minerals.

Look up Mark Ghiorso - if you want to delve further. He is one of the pioneers of thermodynamic models which are used in petrology.

1 Like

Melting minerals is very tricky and unpredictable. Firstly, you need a suitable container that won’t contaminate your product by reacting with your ingredients. Secondly you need a good very hot and manageable heat source that can keep a steady temperature for relatively long periods. Then you need to limit the number of ingredients or start very simple and go from there. Diamond is not actually as hard to make as pressure and temperature indicate because you can use a nickel catalyst for manageable pressures and temperatures. As a start I suggest you look at zircon synthesis by the flux melting process as a guide to what can be done and what it needs to succeed. However, you don’t get large crystals. If you want to try making sapphire or spinel by the flame melt process an oxygen-hydrogen blowpipe can be made up from scratch but you must adhere to safety instructions and fit gas safety gear to prevent explosions. I wish you luck.

Why would one want to take some perfectly good NATURAL material and ruin it by changing and mixing it’s properties with other stones?

Even though there is a good market for cheaper man made stones out there, a huge part of owning, wearing and enjoying a gemstone is knowing it has been naturally made by earth and mother nature, found by some miner, removed with care, then carefully made into a beautiful gemstone by a craftsman skilled in his trade.

I have faceted man made materials and they do come out looking great, BUT!..they will always be a knock-off of the real deal. But, having said that, that is merely my personal opinion.

If one has the time and the thousands of $$$ for proper equipment to do what your talking about, why not use that time and money to go into the field and actually find some beautiful gems??? …Just a suggestion you know!

And think of the adventure!

Later, in a nice warm studio, working with some type of nice material, a person can think of obtaining that gemstone. The drive to the site, animals seen while driving there.
The bumpy road, setting up camp. The weather, could be dry and hot or maybe rainy, windy and cold.
The distant howl of a coyote. Birds soaring overhead. Dusty digging, (or muddy digging). Rock chips in the face. Dirty clothes. Cooking over a small campfire or Coleman stove with minimal utensils. Billions of stars in a spectacular sky at night. Stunning scenery. Vehicle running on empty from exploring the area, spare gas used up, wondering if you can make it to the nearest gas station still miles away because of the remoteness of the site. The oohs and aahs and smiles, maybe a hurray or some other thing shouted when finding a particularly exquisite specimen coming from the earth. Being the very first person on planet earth to see that stone.

The feeling of accomplishment at having done the research to find a particular site, then weather the elements, overcoming other obstacles as needed to finally be sitting at a table, sorting through, remembering and appreciating each soon to be finished gemstone.

Take for example fake Christmas trees, even the most natural, expensive, best ones, still don’t look real, compared to real, natural ones.

Sorry, got a little off track there!!

I believe that natural is always best, some gemstones can not be duplicated by man, thank goodness!
But that is the great part about this world we live in, each person has their own opinion and beliefs. Even though they are different, does not mean they are wrong.

Good luck in making your beautiful “cross bred” gems!!

1 Like

Gem Hunter has rightly enumerated the joys of getting natural stones “Au naturel”. I have been exploring and digging for natural zircons and crystals for several years in central Australia (see my article in The Mineral Record, Nov-Dec 2019). But I am also a scientist who believes people need to experiment because without experimentation we would live in a dull world. I plan to go digging again in May when the weather is better at the public Mud Tank zircon field. You are welcome to join me. The camping is free and the stars are beautiful. The zircons are a matter of luck. Cheers. Ivan Dainis.

1 Like

Hello Gem Hunter. My apologies, my zircon article was in the 2020 issue. Cheers. Ivan Dainis.