No feedback

Greetings IGS Community,
I have, a month or more ago now, posted in this forum requesting identification help for a couple of stones and I don’t think I have received a single comment. I don’t get on here too often but I’m beginning to question why I pay for a membership when I don’t get any responses to my posts. The two main reasons I made the decision to join IGS, are: to get help with gemstone/mineral identification and to receive support/guidance around selling some rough gemstones from experts/experienced gemologists. I welcome any and all feedback regarding tips on how to encourage responses to my posts, or is this not the best site for my goals, etc, and I guess I will see what, if any advice I receive and then decide whether I should stay or go…“oh come on and let me know, should I stay or should I go…”
Hoping to hear back from at least one or two of you guys, I know we are all busy people, but…I need your help, just a little.
Thanks in Advance,
Hinde AKA Chrysocolla

1 Like

I have found over the past month or so, that I have had a membership, that this is a great community. I would suggest for identification help that you provide as much information possible about the stone, also provide decent pictures, in different lighting. I hope you get the information/support you were looking for.
Best,
Daniel

2 Likes

Hi Chrys -
I know the feeling! I signed on December 3,2023 because I wanted to know about carmeltazite.
Anyway, long story short, after getting NO answer to my inquiry I began poking around here and there on the internet and also making phone calls.
I finally found what I was looking for ( hope by now you aren’t, “still haven’t found what I’m looking for . . .”
So one morning recently I decided to unsubscribe from IGS (it was with some regret, I was SO looking forward to getting one of those IGS badges to wear on my windbreaker along with sporting a 10X jewelers loupe worn pendant-style and a small flashlight in a holster on my belt)! So I checked my posting one last time before unsubscribing and to my surprise I saw a reply to my question. It reiterated exactly what I discovered on my own (sort of like a “parachute opening after you’ve hit the ground”). However, I found the reply reassuring.
In my “carmeltazite” quest I also encountered a reply that

1 Like

Sadly these forums are only occasionally active and many of us are not confident to identify things with the info that may or may not be provided.

There are just as many people here learning as there are experts.

We are a community of people and and like any other community we have a mix of people who come and go with the what their life allows.

Try to be patient and read the articles as you can remember that we are here because we love the hobby.

I find that the it is worth the cost to learn try to identify it doubt yourself and then get confirmation or find out you were close.

The real value comes from not needing to go to the gatekeepers and lying a-holes on reddit trying to mislead you or trick you into damaging or even destroying valuable samples out of jealousy or because they can.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not a reddit participant.
Thanks for the email.
Happy New Year!
Wishing you & Family all the BEST in 2024.

2 Likes

And to yours namaste :pray: and know you have AT LEAST 1 sister here to support and learn with you.

when i know for a fact that you have a lot of family in this community…

1 Like

I went to look at your post to see if there was anything misleading in the topics. I left some information for you that may be helpful.

1 Like

Dear IGS member

am at your disposal for any queston about gemmology question. Can you repeat me your question and I will answer with may best interest.
I am CEO of ATC center in Italy of Gem-A The Gemmological Association of Great Britain and graduate gemmologis.
Best regards
my emal : piero.manuelli@gemhouse.org

2 Likes

Hi Hinde/Chrysocolla,
I agree with nostro meraviglioso amico e collega [our wonderful friend and colleague], Piero…repost the question and see if folks respond now.

I will also say this. I’ve answered a number of requests for ID, but it is hard to answer them all or even sometimes to answer a few difficult ones well. Many requests seem to be a first rather than a last resort. I want to encourage learning and a passion for gems and minerals, not a push-the-button mentality where people join this forum solely to get gem IDs, not to learn about how to do it themselves…and then post a photo (which may or may not be hi-res, or even in focus) and little else and expect an authoritative answer today.

To more recent requests, I have given directions on an easy way to determine an SG as a starter data point toward ID. One could also give links to sites that will help with gem and mineral description so that respondents get more useful data. Hardness estimations with common objects (quartz, steel knife, glass, penny, etc.), for example, are fairly easy to do on rough or mineral specimens. Sites that help with determining IDs and discuss various separations can also be posted here so that those requesting help can learn how to proceed. Many forums have “stickies” which give essential info for newbies or admin guidelines that specify best practices when posting certain requests. Perhaps something like that would help our forum become more efficient in being helpful without expecting too much from the folks that answer queries and share their knowledge. If they stop answering, maybe there are reasons for this. -royjohn

2 Likes

I would love some feedback on the odd stuff im finding i cant find anything that makes sense but the local college is useless they refuse to look at the possibilities that the “best guess” survey 100 years ago may be inaccurate.

My only other option is to drive to a museum in Philly or DC. But its not easy because i have narcolepsy.

1 Like

Hello,
I would be happy to assist. I looked but wasn’t able to see what it was that you were needing to identify.
Regards,
Brian Hudson GG
Graduate Gemologist, GIA

1 Like

Just to reiterate some points specifically about identification requests. 1. Usually, the more properties and information you can provide, the more likely others in the community may respond with either suggestions for next steps, questions about your property measurements, followup requests, or identification guesses. 2. Please keep in mind: no one can identify a gemstone from just a photo. All anyone can provide is a guess, and the more information given the better the guess. Even gem identification aps/scanners, which use sight identification, have limitations. Photos can help, but additional information is key. 3. The IGS provides a lot of resources - not just the Forum - to help you identify gemstones, from information on gem properties to learning how to conduct basic gemological tests like measuring specific gravity and refractive index and how to choose which properties to test in what order to reach a possible identification most efficiently. All of these resources are available to members.

Pedro
IGS Admin

2 Likes

I did not see your original post before now.

Question: When you took the pictures, were the samples wet or dry? If they were dry, then I would call that a greasy luster. Can help with identification.

1 Like

Hello Hinde! I’m not sure what to say except that I hear you. :slight_smile: I personally haven’t posted on these forums yet, but I scan through them every now and ten. I mostly use my membership for the educational courses they offer. I finished my first course from GIA so I can help maybe? Even if it is limited help haha! I can be easily reached on my IG @babe_of_swords because I don’t check here very often.

I’m wishing you luck and fingers crossed some others reply too. Cheers hun!
<3 Merritt

2 Likes

I joined IGS to learn more about gems and I’m glad that I did. The courses offered are great! If you do not get an answer, it’s because some of us have been blasted for making a wrong ID or the photos and descriptions are not all that great. I did not read your original post yet. Give the lessons a chance, you will love them if you have any interest in learning more about stones.
All the best,
Otter.

1 Like

Wow! How wonderful to find all of this great, supportive, and informative feedback.
I apologize for the delayed response and unfortunately, brief (for now) reply.
I fractured my L3 vertebra in December, and having already been struggling with life-upending, Long-term COVID symptoms prior to this new, painful injury, all on my own, has put a significant damper on everything. Anyone out there experiencing LT COVID issues? I’d love to connect with anyone who has had their lives turned upside down, like myself, and I welcome any advice or resources in CO that might help. Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to reading each of your replies. Take Care,
Chrys

Non potrei essere pui d’accordo (I can’t agree more!) pSanchez also recommend that same… the more properties given, the easier it is to guess an answer. “no one can idnetify a gemstone just from a photo.”. Learning something about mineralogy basics and gemology basics has to be the starting point. Self education is necessary on a continuous basis. Just posting pitcures without knowing the physcial properties and looking for a quick ID without doing the homework does not advance self knowledge and others won’t be able to help either from only picture posting.

1 Like

So far as translating stuff: Try this one, which I used chatGPT to analyze it’s structure in English first.
“I should not have had changed my plane reservation; even though the flight was delayed, and I that would have missed my original connection.” I had it translated into French and Spanish. A bilingual Spanish friend of mine whom I talk to regularly, and is a natural language speaker recognized the translation but agreed that the sentence structure was complex. It uses the past perfect conditional with auxilliary verbs and negative particles… I know how to say it in French but not in Spanish. The second part of the sentence can take either the past conditional or the past subjunctive tense…We, as natural English speakers don’t even think about it… getting it correct in a foreign language is a real struggle as all of the Latin languages rely so heavily of the forms of verb tenses. I had my first French reivew session yesterday which was a mixture of French conversation and Spanish… I told my teacher that I need to study English grammar. I lost my fluency in French within 6 months of returning back here. There’s no one to talk to in French nor in Spanish. Thinking in English and trying to translate it into another language is how I’m doing it, but I run into vocabulary and verb tense issues. Being immersed helped tremendously… I began to think in spontaenously in French and not in English…that transformed my speech into a halting and hesitant one into one that was flowing naturally., I spent 7 years learning French in high school and college and got to the point of reading Old French manuscripts. I took 6 months in Paris and our classes were on philosophy, history and art, the humanities. No English was allowed. We had to write our essays and term papers using literary French of which there are 14 tenses, less than haft that being used in conversational French… I forgot almost all of it…I’ve gotten back the present, past perfect, imperfect, compund past, future, and the subjunctive and conditional tense, but incompletely, particular for the most important verbs- the irregular ones. I only use the present, composed past, imperfect, future, subjuctive present, and conditional tenses in conversation. None of the rest is necessary except for writing. Grammar is identical across all of the Latin derived languages, except that Spanish uses the past subjuctive intensively… I need to get comfortable speaking French again to the point where I don’t need to translate it from English thoughts into French words and still try to learn some Spanish at the same time… It makes my head swim.

Next February I want to drive to the Tucson gem and mineral show… We have friends living near Tucson that we can stay with. I won’t be doing any buying but will be pricing for what I want to sell. I seriously am thinking of driving to Mexico City and even as far as Guatemala…being immersed in Spanish will be a great opportunity, although I still will be another gringo, no matter how well I speak Spanish… The trip could cover as much as 15 to 20K miles round trip and take 6 or 7 weeks… I missed my chance to buy high quality Mayan jadeite when it first came out because I thought it was too expensive… prices have stabilized since there’s artisan mining going on in the streams and rivers as it was in Myanmar before the hard rock sources were discovered and taken over by the military dictatorship there. In Guatemala, a US based company used geophysical survey methods to locate the high pressure low temperature metamorphic belt, then explored the rainforest on foot before stumbling upon the mother lode…The source of Mayan jade had been lost for centuries… I also missed my chance to buy Paraiba tourmaline when it first came out… still kicking myelf over it, but at this point I need more rocks like a hole in the head. My best buy was a matching couple of deep hot pink Pala tourmalines cut at 10ct. each. I actually got them the Julian area of California… I picked them for $500… now worth 5K each… All of my stuff is hidden beneath piles of junk near my old bench which is acting as a junk pile holder…

Good luck with the Italian. It’s impossible not to be mistaken for a tourist, but we can still speak the language in a manner that makes us sound educated…unless you were born into a bilingual household and speak a second language as a natural language (mine was Japanese)…

Spero che tu abbia un ottimo tempo in Italia… (I think that came out with the subjunctive present… aviere is like avoir in French and haber in Spanish) .

please email me, if you have it… I thought I had your email but couldn’t find it in my contacts. If you can just send me chiao, I can enter your’s into my contacts. If not I will try and message you thru this website. There are private communications that I don’t want to post publically.