Kindly identify this gem?

1 Like

Hi,
Just having a guess Tourmaline (Rubellite).
Cheers

1 Like

Could be Tourmaline.

1 Like

Das könnten Granate (Rhodolite) sein

2 Likes

Weight and color alone are not enough to identify these stones.
Some Possibilities: pyrope/spessartine garnet ($1 - $30 per carat), red zircon ($75 to $125 per carat), rubellite (red tourmaline) ($33 to $500 per carat), Red spinel ($200 to $2,000 per carat), and ruby ($500 and up). Without running basic tests, there is no way to know which if any of these stones you have.

2 Likes

You have a scale, so I would start by doing a simple SG calculation. A dichroscope would separate the doubly refractive species from the singly refractive. Magnetism will also help distinguish some of these. Probably these three tests would do it, but I haven’t gone thru all the species myself. Gemology Pro software for about $60 will tell you exactly how to ID these.

3 Likes

Garnet

2 Likes

Have you tried to check for specific gravity yet? It is a simple test. Checking for fluorescence will give you a clue if they are ruby and spinel. That would be my first 2 tests. Refractive Index if you can get a good flat side to any of them.
It looks like they have nice color to them from what I can see from the photos.
All the best,
Otter

1 Like

It appears to be Carnelian. It could also be Tourmaline. A specific gravity test would be beneficial in getting closer to an answer.

Cheers!

This IGS Chart on specific gravity might be of help;

Cheers!
Steve

Take a strong magnet, if it attracts the stones it is garnet.
Peter

…it is best in this case to have a test done at a proper and reputable lab, as there are many types of red gems but some are extremely valuable and it is easy to be conned out of your gems if you don’t have the correct information. So test first ,at 3 jewellers and end off at a lab this is the safest and best way to know what you actually have as there are some African rubys and some African garnets that I have had come through my door that have looked the same. the price difference though :scream:

1 Like