I need help identifying my Garnets

I think with a few more years of experience you will be able to do it. :smiley:

I would also appreciate not being patronized as you have no idea of my experience.
Gemology is about science, not just trusting your eye is all that I’m saying. What I am capable to see and what precise gemological answers my clients are expecting me to give are 2 different subjects. my masters and professors along the years and the 20 years I belong to this trade also told me to stay humble before any gems and not assume you have all-seeing powers.

1 Like

I would suggest that you read, understand, and practice what these two books can teach you to improve your skill level and confidence in Gem Identification WITHOUT INSTRUMENTS … instead of being so Huffy Puffy about what you believe that others can’t do.

There is also a Second Edition of Visual Optics printed in 1999.

I do have to say that we shouldn’t but to be honest most do. I however do agree that the prudent thing to do is not base a judgement Totally on a picture. I like to suggest my opinion as a place to focus their research. would that be a more actuate statement? Especially when Garnets are involved. One stone can be a combination of say three garnets. Like almandite-Pyrope- Spessartite Garnet.

1 Like

Hello Eric … I find that your comment is a little more realistic. This forum has been operating on “Help Me Identify my Mineral or Gemstone by Photo” for years now. For anyone to say that a positive Gem ID cannot be done by just a photo to me is simply a benighted asininity.

There is a reason for the saying, “A picture is worth 1000 words” and how about, “Seeing is Believing”?! When anyone looks at a photograph of a mineral or a gem they can make OBSERVATIONS from that photo. As a Certified Metrologist (Science of Measurement) with degrees in Applied Science, I can say that another name for an Observation IS a Measurement. Whether you are looking at a gem or mineral specimen in your hand or even looking at a picture of a picture of a gem or mineral specimen … your eye and brain are processing an IMAGE. IF you get enough information in your brain from processing the Image, then you CAN make a positive ID from just a photo or image. I personally have been doing this for years now and many times use my gemological instruments just to confirm the ID that was made in my mind without instruments. The more you practice it … the better you get at it. Gem ID Kung Fu. ;))

IF what I am saying here was not possible, as some incorrectly believe, then there would NOT be an AI (Artificial Intelligence) App for iPhones that CAN Identify a Gem or Mineral Specimen from just taking a picture. Here is the link to see and buy the App: Rock Identifier App - YouTube

There is only one question left to answer: IF the AI App can Identify a Gem or Mineral Specimen from just a picture, then why can’t a properly trained and experienced Gemologist/Appraiser do it as well?? :)))))))