I need help identifying my Garnets

Hello,
I am going to be selling this Garnet set and I’m not sure what type of Garnet it is, maybe Almandine? I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Lori image|428x500

@Glamshopgirl the photo is not showing.

Can you get a better pic? Preferably in natural light so the color Will be clearer and easier to identify?

did you magnetic test ?
-refractometer value ?
…from only the color my tendency is hessonite (maybe sri lanka)

Hi Thanks for reaching out, I only know of using a magnet for Gold & Silver testing it’s 10k gold so it doesn’t stick to the magnet and I don’t have a refractometer (yet) I’m fairly new to this but learning ! I appreciate everyone’s help. I tried to take some better pics, hopefully it will let me upload them with this messge.If not then I’ll send them separately.
Thanks
Lori :slight_smile:

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m having an issue uploading the photos so I apologize if you are trying to help. Since we are on the topic of Garnets hopefully I can identify another Garnet & Opal necklace I’m going to need help with. It’s also from an Estate sale,10k gold with 4 Garnets? and I believe it’s Fire Opal in the center, again I need help identifying which type of Garnet they are. I thought that they were Rubies but a Jeweler told me Garnet but not which type they are.I’m going to try to post a picture here, but I will start a separate post/topic for it. You guys ROCK for helping me! ( no pun intended )

No one can id any of these stones by just looking at these pictures. The opal is suspect (synthetic?), but the picture is blurry. The label says 14 kt gold plated, but you say 10 kt?

Hello sorry about the blurry pics…l’ll try to put up a clearer one but I’m having problems loading photos. I have 2 different garnets I’m inquiring about. The garnet necklace and earrings set is 14 k gold plated and necklace is 10k gold.I do have better pics I just can’t load them. I’m not sure why? Is there a way to test opal if you think it’s synthetic?
Thanks for your help
Lori :slight_smile:

Yes I agree the opal looks very similar to what they call lizard skin pattern in synthetic opal
FIG-11-Synthetic-white-opal-Gilson-Nov-F-I-G-12-Synthetic-black-opal-Gilson-Dec_Q320

Even with very sharp pictures it is probably impossible, maybe you can see inclusions. The best/only way for the red stones is to use standard gemmological equipment, spectroscoop, refr meter, etc. I was confused about the gold kt, in the post earlier you said 10 kt with picture of 14 plated. Google synthetic opal and compare pictures. But to be sure, you have to see it real life.

In these kind of jewellery it is almost allways synthetic/plastic. The coulour patches are very typical. But to be 100% sure a picture simply is not enough.

Serious gemologists don’t ID on pictures.

1 Like

Yes you are right Tsubaa but we are only giving a perhaps it could be not a written guarantee thanks

I label all red garnets simply as “Garnets” in selling. The reason being is that the vast majority of buyers only know garnets as " red" and differentiating between a pyrope or almandine, etc., just muddles the process.

Thank You very much.I agree I have them listed as Red Garnets then in the sub category section for the” type of garnet” I’m just gonna put unknown then I can be done with it!
Thanks
Lori

I find that pictures from my potential clients are the beginning of the ID or Separation Process. I certainly can tell from a picture what a specimen “can’t be”. ;))

still isn’t a gemological process :wink:

Your term is undefined, “gemological process”. Looking at a photo is an observation and observation is a part of Separation which is also a major part of Gem Identification. Who out there is going to say that Gem Identification is not a “gemological process”?

Observation to the naked eye is the first step of the process of identification.
Simulant and synthetics have been designed and man-made to look like their natural counterpart to the naked eye. However, without a loupe and few instruments, one isn’t truly capable of saying, say this is a Garnet and not a piece of glass. No one out there will say that gem identification is not a gemological process, because gem identification is done through the gemological process.
each one of these steps brings clues. even gemstones looking alike won’t be distinguished from one another till the right instrument gives the best clue.