Gem Related Discussion

How common are “neon” gemstones in stones like chrysoberyls or zircons? Is there any objective criteria to assessing whether a so-called neon stone is in fact neon? (Would GIA describe a gem as “neon”?). Or is it a case of “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” especially under favorable lighting?

Neon blue. Or bluish green are always vivid color and some samples translucent to opaque and variation of quantity of cooper and manganese and gold (some times ) big variation intense ,vivid or deep to light neon blue all colors are particularly different from all kind of blue but all looks like have a lamp turned on very weak to strong it is amazing stone ![image|375x500](upload://ubSKHtCJdI AjHRt87xcIvcH52wz.jpeg)

Yup, looks neon to me. It’s a pretty stone. What kind is it?

Maybe a Neon apatite

Very probably Paraiba. São José da Batalha Mine. I have one similar, gift from the mine owner.
My shop is actually closed, due to quarantaine, cannot provide a photo now.
I’m quite sure the multicolor specimen in the top photos is also Paraiba.

Neon is not a color, so GIA would probably not describe it as such. In fact, GIA does not mention the saturation (neon would be vivid saturation) or tone (how light or dark it is) in their reports. Tourmalines and apatites are the most common neon stones. Note a stone can be vivid, but not really neon, for example sapphires. It would be interesting to actually hear GIA’s opinion on the subject.

Paraíba tourmaline from Brazil batalha mine

Good point! I didn’t know that that, thanks!

1 Like

It’s amazing just as you say!

1 Like

Wrong. There is basically understand neon is electric blue color and there is some level depending of trace of color and quantity chemical components and also Gia classify. Different level is blue neon
Opaque Paraíba with dull mixed color neon bluish green not vivid is different reacting. In color master degree and more pure and high level of chemical compound more intense and vivid because is. Color hue with luster classification of blue neon intense ,moderate (less intense ) more than intense (vivid) special bright mixed with intense deep color result. The vivid. This for Paraíba From batalha. Is different then the others 10 different localities in Paraíba state and parelhas other state on border. Most gemologist doesn’t know this mines and quality sizes and prices. In Brazil exist 12 different colors and hue of turmalina Paraíba only one state and other area state Rio Grande do Norte 8
Ggg laboratory was collecting samples since came up Paraiba 1987 by Heitor Dimas Barbosa. And after Gia came there 1989

I’ve only seen or heard of neon in a blue or blue green color in fact I have some neon blue tourmaline cabochons.