Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Found this in my yard

The white is most likely quartz.
The brown and orange one is the piece I would use the uv light on.

So sw just turns the whole thing deep dark pink and long wave does nothing

If you can get a piece off of the crystal, (large enough to test) you can get an RI and then get a SG. Or if you have an idea what it might be, you could use a pen light and spectroscope. I haven’t found a better book for spectrums than the GIA lab manual.
If you hold the light at about a 45 degree angle and the spectroscope at an opposing 45, focus on the gem part and see what there is. This isn’t easy, but I have done it often.
The best way is to get a piece to get an RI. The RI will most often eliminate any guess work.
Good luck.

I actually acquired parts of several large collections with specimens that are roughly similar to both of yours. Your first is a milky quartz point, broken at one end and discolored by an iron oxide.
With the second, I cannot give you such a definite answer. However, I can point you in the direction of so mineral series which have characteristics similar to your specimen. The weight and solidity points to something containing the lead or iron. The colorization around the crystal pockets causes me to lean more towards Iron, as do the small pyrite flecks across the broken face.
There are crystal pockets and some type of crystal/mineral vein running horizontally on the left end. So far as an id on the crystals, the breaks are not clean enough nor is my knowledge thorough enough to provide that. (I am just learning) I would suggest and start looking at the iron specimens. That site will provide a listing of other minerals commonly found with iron. (go to the bottom of the page for the mineral Iron)

If you’d like to get rid of some of the “iron stain”, try IronOut.

It won’t do anything else to the crystal?

This looks like Basalt to me

The black with orange spots is amygdaloid basalt. Your green one may be as well. A variety of minerals can be found In basalt, which is common in upstate Michigan and Lake Superior

1 Like