Experienced Gemologists....Guess where I am from! What am I?

So difficult to distinguish, was sold as Mozambique.

1 Like

Always advise Buyer beware! Thanks for all the input, lot of thought had gone into the responses and I thank you all.

1 Like

I was pretty close, I need to play with more lab grown stuff.

1 Like

Matthew, thanks for the challenge and practice.

I agree that was definitely not easy to see. Admittedly, the original clues (photos) probably are more obvious to the trained eyes, and I had completely overlooked the striation pattens with the original focus being the fluid-filled inclusions. It was not until you mentioned the LW UV reaction that I re-examined the images.

I recently started taking the IGS PG course and this article is one of the lessons. I am not that far along in the program to have read it yet. Synthetic Gemstone Inclusions - International Gem Society

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how was the purchase made? Through a dealer, on-line site, or at a gem show?

In all honesty, I want to retest at GRS, This stone matches all known inclusions in Montepuez Ruby from Mozambique…had me fooled.

Well, I haven’t witnessed any material from Mozambique… (writing down note to self…must find examples… ) :slight_smile:

Question on the original immersion images… did you use a polarized filter in the optics? I would be interested in seeing how these striation pattens look under polarized light. If you find the time to do that…

I did not filter but, you can see the flame-like growth patterns when immersed in benzyl alcohol.

The only thing I canot distinguish for certain are what appear to be Perettitite. Which would confirm natural origins.

I am not familiar with that mineral but found this reference… if its what you are referring to.

It is a mineral discovered by Dr. Adolf Peretti of GRS (Gem research swiss).

So if you found crystal inclusion in the rough, how would you be able to determine their species? And so far, I have not found any relationship with Perettiite being found in Ruby. Do you have a link to the source of that information?

Sorry to keep bugging… I am just absorbing as much information as I can…

Yeah, just fell down another rabbit hole… :smile:

Why throw $ at it again? If GIA said synthetic, you can be quite sure it is. With regards the amount of various inclusions, it is likely grown using the flux method.

1 Like