Ebay and Gemrock purchased Stones

I was sent an email about posting your issues on one of my blogs, then got crazy/busy, and forgot. When I went back to retrieve the email, it was gone. I most likely deleted it when I went through and deleted a lot of the harassing email that I get. I get so much spam, that from time to time, I accidentally delete some meant to keep.
I apologize for that.
Please re-send me the information, I have time to get it posted right now, and for a couple more days. I apologize for letting it slip. I am a virtual, freelance legal assistant and work come s to me haphazardly and when I get busy, I have to drop everything, and make money.
I am seriously interested in posting your problem, and if you respond, I will have a new blog already set up waiting for your post.
Janet.

May I recommend using paragraphs and start with #1 what you want #2 what the benefit is and #3 what is needed to get there.

Not cutting anything expensive - some ct zircon for practice and taking my notes - so many ways to do it wrong.

Iā€™ve made a hundred of them.

I actually buy stuff I know is probably a simulant or a fake to build a personal library of these items so that when Iā€™m identifying stones I have fakes or synthetics to compare them to.

I have spent thousands of dollars on Gemological equipment and I recently discovered the work of Dr. Hannemanā€¦ He has some great books and inexpensive identification equipment. He was awarded by the Accredited Gemologists Association (AGA) with the Antonio C. Bonanno Excellence in Gemology award, an internationally renowned honor conferred upon those who have made important contributions to the field of gemology and a lifetime achievement award for continuously challenging the status quo on gemological issues.

He has some very interesting and inexpensive equipment to test gemstones.

I have non-affiliation with him or the stores that sell his equipment. I have bought some and am still awaiting the delivery since I live in Asia.

You can find his books and testing devices at minerlab.com

I usually go by the maxim of caveat emptor, buyer beware. If the pricing is too good to be true it probably is, unless they had a mixup in their inventory and are incompetent. You would be surprised at how often this can happen as companies grow.

I hope you all stay safe and sane during this time of pandemic. There are deals to be found for sure, but donā€™t get too disappointed if it turns out to be bogus as long as you didnā€™t spend too much money. Build yourself a simulant and synthetic library and compare the stones you buy against them to aid in faster identification.

Best regards,

Daniel

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done a lot of research on lab certificates as they are abundant in the Philippines when you go out gem hunting. Most of the certificates are bogus. There is a flourishing trade in bogus certificates now.

Here is a link to one of the articles I have read:
https://insure-jewelry.com/newsletters/2020/2020_01.htm

Honestly, the best thing to do is buy gemstones that look nice and are pretty online since many of the things being sold on eBay and Etsy are not what they are being sold as.

I buy synthetic stones for customers that canā€™t afford the natural ones because they are expensive. They know they are getting synthetics but since the price difference is so great they donā€™t mind because they end up with a custom piece of jewelry that is beautiful that they can afford.

I have purchased full color sets of corundum and spinel so i can use them as reference when Iā€™m looking at natural stones that I am testing. Iā€™m still learning and will be starting the gemology couse here soon, since the IGS course seems to be good value. I would eventually like to get a GIA certificate so that customers will trust my evaluations more since everyone has heard of GIA.

I currently only evaluate stones for our business and I reject 90 to 99% of the stones I see from my wholesale suppliers. Iā€™m very picky about the stones because I care what my customers purchase from me.

Iā€™ve been looking at the growth striations and if i even have a hint that they are even slighlty curved they are returned. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on equipment because itā€™s part of my business. Iā€™m also going to test out Dr. Hannemanā€™s devices as they look like they will save me lots of time and energy examining large batches of gemstones to narrow it down to the stones I should analyze for purchase.

I know I am lucky in that I have access to some gemstone wholesalers but it is always caveat emptor when it comes to gemstones. Always trust your suppliers but always verifiy what your are purchasing.

Hello I am new here
I am in possession of three blue coloured tourmalines that I suspect are Paraiba tourmaline from Mozambique, I am aware that paraiba consists of copper and manganese, luckily I have already checked the stones for these elements and they have proved that they have copper and manganese, but I am not sure what is the specific amount of copper required in a tourmaline for it to be called a Paraiba!

Please help me understand are my stones paraiba because they already have cop

per and manganese or do they have to have a certain amount so as to be called Paraiba Tourmaline?

Hello I am new here
I am in possession of three blue coloured tourmalines that I suspect are Paraiba tourmaline from Mozambique, I am aware that paraiba consists of copper and manganese, luckily I have already checked the stones for these elements and they have proved that they have copper and manganese, but I am not sure what is the specific amount of copper required in a tourmaline for it to be called a Paraiba!

Please help me understand are my stones paraiba because they already have cop

per and manganese or do they have to have a certain amount so as to be called Paraiba Tourmaline?

To IMDone: I hope you donā€™t mind, I posted this on my blog: https://rippedoffonline.wordpress.com/2021/07/01/gemstones-purchased-were-all-fake/

I am still learning to facet cut but I practice on glass marbles. You can pick them up cheep. Like a couple of USD on Amazon for a big box of them. Actually although they are glass and just for trying out new ideas and facet cuts some actually are very pretty for glass. Great to learn on as well.

1 Like

Yes, Paypal is, in my experience, pretty much on the ball maybe 80 percent of the time but not always. I had a dispute with a seller some time ago, left seller negative feedback (all true, not exaggeration) and seller got a friend on ebay to remove it. Thatā€™s not supposed to happen. However, in the end the seller wanted me to buy more from him and was surprised when I refused. ā€œWalking awayā€ can be an eloquent message to sellers like this.