Career planning

Hey guys! I’m pretty new here, so I was wondering if anyone could give some advice.
I’ve been studying Gemology on the site for a while now, with the intent of getting my certification. I want to be a lapidary/goldsmith, though my plan is to start out getting a job to verify gems so I can afford the equipment and rough.
My first question is: is this feasible? I’m a neophyte, so I can’t say much about the money I’d get as a whatever-that-job-title-is, compared to equipment and materials. I do know that it’s obviously going to be done in small increments and not on one paycheck, so at least I’m not totally clueless.
My second question is: if this is an acceptable supplement, and I become well established, would freelancing ever be possible? That way I could dedicate most of my time to my creations, and still keep my job on my own time. If so, anyone know any good markets for freelancers? It could be that I haven’t been paying attention until recently, but I don’t think my hometown of Louisville, Ky fits the bill. The best I’d get here is likely chain retail stores; nary a personal job, or auction in sight. Fine for a start, I suppose, but I want a laddar to climb. Perhaps I’m not being creative enough, I don’t know.
I feel like there’s more, but that’s all I can think of for now. All replies appreciated, and extra advice would be great :slight_smile:

Thomas,
I am traveling now,butI’ll be back k in Knoxville on the 25th th and we could talk by phone or visiton Skype…It might be possible for you to meet me at my place and I could give you some gemological help or lapidary /faceting lessons.I also have a functional jewelry setup,but I wouldn’t call.myself a goldsmith.
For learning at the bench, you need an apprenticeship in a store and I know that Jared’s has hired such in Knoxville, maybe they are looking elsewhere. If you get good, you will be in demand and can eventually freelance. Blaine Lewis has a school in Nashville. It is not cheap, but if you graduate you will be placed in a good job.
My email is rkerseyattdsdotnet…if you want to send me a message we could talk further, but my connections are a bit limited until I get home on the 25th.
Best,
royjohn

1 Like

My sincerest apologies for incredibly late reply. I appreciate the advice. I have a -possible- job lined up after I get my certification, but I’m having trouble paying for it at the moment. I’ve taken a bit of a break until I receive such funds, but I should have it before long.