Buying Gemstones Online - Safe or Unsafe?

Is this gemrock auction site you are commenting on please.

1 Like

I have purchased on gemrockauctions before and have found some real nice bargains. In fact I just bid and won some nice London Blue Topaz tear drop cut pieces for a piece that a customer wants. My only problem with the site is when I go to pay. For some reason when I go to checkout and hit the PayPal option (the only one) it sends me to a blank screen! Ugh! It drives me NUTS!!!
I have found a FEW reputable dealers on eBay. Again look close and ask lots of questions.
All the best and happy hunting.
Otter.

1 Like

Hi there,

This is a great question. One that is not super simple to answer though.
Is it advisable without experience? I would say no. It takes time and persistence to
develop a keen eye to decide what is good and what is not. I honestly use Ebay for almost all
of my rough and cut stones and have developed a seller list that I have worked on for 7 years.
Did I start out getting a lot of synthetics and glass? Yes of course. But after you figure out how to use
it properly you can basically use your brain like a computer program and find amazing things. Take this for example. I recently purchased a 5.95 Ct Orange VVS heart shaped sapphire that has been traditionally heated for $230 CAN. I recently got it appraised for $7750. So in short… Yes you can use online platforms. Will they take time to make money on? More than likely! Its takes time to develop an eye

Noah Witte
www.perthrostones.com
perthrostones@gmail.com

1 Like

bonjour par experience je n achette plus de pierre sans les voir beaucoup vende sur ebay ou autre mais peut on la qualité . il faut savoir que les pierres de top qualité sa négocie dans les bureaux pas sur internet . pour la revente les pierres d internet ne valent pas le coup .

I have a question about auction sites. I have been thinking about that for some time. Sometimes items can be bought for $1, or somewhat more. Happens when no one seems to be interested in the item. It’s an auction, and no reserve means it will sell to the highest bidder. If there is only one, then the lowest possible price. But how can that be? Production of the item must cost more?

2 Likes

Safe if work with right person or dealer, if u are also expert then its very easy …

Hi, can you possibly send their ebay store name or contact number/website if any?

Thanks

Informative reply, thank you.

I have lots of raw sapphires already cut into gemstones, RUBIES and garnets (GENUINE SIRCIONS) RED IN MARCH I WILL SEEK ROSES FOR DIRECT SALE, a new deposit discovered after 11 years of research

1 Like

www.gemsandcarvings. com

1 Like

I had problems with Thaigemstore. They sent an expensive package uninsured and would not replace or refund when it was stolen in transit.

1 Like

I have been a online gem dealer for the past 25 years and I wanted to solve all problems mentioned above, one of my solution is escrow payments. ( release the payment after you are satisfied with the goods.)

My Site is still in its infancy, rolling out features and Ironing out problems as they come.

Its also a B2B site with members vetted before entry, And if any one sells Items not as described ( after 3 warnings ) out they go.

If you would like to try the system out register here

1 Like

I mean - I buy all my gems online, usually from very bad photos. Generally in unreserved auctions from a major Australian auctioning company. It’s how I get a bargain, I gamble on the stone and hopefully come up on top. Of course I make a lot of educated guesses and do super zoom-ins to see inclusions and all that. So far I’ve been pretty happy with what I’ve bought. And I’m very careful not to pay much, just in case. If the price goes too high I let the stone go.

2 Likes