300 cts. Citrine

Hi Steven H,

I have recently turned over all of my gemstones to Clars Auction House in Oakland. They are planning to have a gem specific auction, tentatively planned for February. I will post here when the details are set. I’m pretty sure my collection will be broken into various lots, but I’m not sure what will fall into any particular lot. I will let their gemologists decide if the lots will be categorized by color, number of stones, carat weight, quality, or some other criteria. I think it will be fascinating to see how the auction goes. Perhaps it will help inform you with regards to your large quartz and aquamarine.

On the other hand, I have yet to find any consistent metric for gemstone valuations. Like in so many other areas, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay when you’re ready to sell.

Expanding your collection of faceted gemstones? Here is a wonderful opportunity to add emeralds, sapphires, rubies, opals, amethysts, citrines, and more. This link is to an auction that will take place starting this Friday 1/19/24 at 9:30am PST. Please have a look at the 25 different lots of unmounted gems. Click on each lot to see additional details.
Clar’s Auction lots #571 - #601

Jumbo Size 145.40 Cts Natural Citrine Yellow Oval Checker Cut AAA Grade Gemstone | eBay?

That’s pretty. Thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks for the reply and thanks to everyone for the links… gives me an idea of how cheap they are…
size doesn’t count with quartz… I might just keep mine as a pretty thing to look at than hassle with online auctions.

I think holding on to the your aquamarine for the shear pleasure it brings you is a great idea.

My Clars auction has concluded, and I'm glad that every stone sold. The lesson for me is that stones are worth what you get based on who is buying when you are selling. **; )**

well said… the only measure of value is what a buyer is willing to pay for, not the seller’s asking price. I have other stones that are far more valuable… those I would be willing to sell at a price I want. No rush to part with anything for now. I acquired them years ago when I was fabricating handmade jewelry. I don’t make jewelry anymore for a number of reasons. I also have a hoard of precious metals that I am sending out for refining and hallmarking as investment grade bullion. The precious metals are far more liquid than gemstones. The only thing that is certain is that gemstones have appreciated over the past 25 years to 10X what I paid for. I only bought high quality semi-precious stones and bought natural aquamarine and tanzanite for blue, hessonite and padparadscha for pink/orange, imperial topaz for yellow/sherry and genuine Pala tourmalines for hot deep red/pink… I missed my chance to pick up Paraiba and I can kick myself for it… also sea green guatemalan jadeite, although the latter is now artisanally mined in large quantities, eclipsing the output of the “mother lode”… however, I need more stones like a hole in the head…precious metals have also gone up ten fold over the same period of time, but the appreciation in value has be gauged against cumulative inflation, which has eroded the purchasing power of the dollar by a similar amount, over the same period of time. The gain in value given the context of cumulative inflation means that gems are a store of value, as is silver, gold and real estate and stocks…the stock market has outperformed all other asset classes over the same period of time, although “hard assets” such as gems and precious metals have also kept up with, and from time to time beaten inflation…

1 Like

Citrine can cost a wide variety of different price ranges. I bought around 50 gems in a variety of prices from $1 up to $35 a gem but the higher weight the higher price. I buy larger gems for my personal designed items. I see better with larger gems. Been legally blind my whole life.
Never had glasses until after 11th grade but needed them much sooner as in 2nd grade. I could never read what teachers wrote on chalk boards.
Literally had to write notes after class every day. Most of time was wrong. :expressionless: Eventually obtained glasses at 15. Still very poor vision.
I rely on opinions of others when describing items close up. I always am wrong.

Amazing stone, I’ll give you $20 for it? Just kidding, it’s truly amazing. I would def try and sell it whole, just to preserve it as is, at least as a first go-round.

Citrine 30 Ct
Submit to GIA for certification and grading report.
Here is why: lowest price is minimum price without grading.
If graded consider what you might loose?
Less than 0.99 Carat
Starting cost worst rating is $14 a Ct

$103 High end price for best rating.
per carat
1-1.99 Carat
$6

$97
per carat
2-4.99 Carat
$4

$1,416
per carat