Is this Ellensburg Blue agate?

Yesterday I bought a big blue rough stone ( more then 1 kg) from a lady in Seattle , saying that she got it from “Teanaway” east WA state , the area is actually next to Ellensburg city, … I will be more then glad if any one can assist as whether this is Ellen. blue agate or not!
thanks

1 Like

We have been finding many of that by the pounds. Unless it shows a true blue in the sunlight, it wouldn’t be classified as a “blue;” but instead, it would be known as a “smoke” in reference to the smoky gray colors by local hunters. There has in fact been E. Blues found in that region, they are a little more tricky to find. We go there many times a year, even finding quartz geodes. All in all, it kinda does look like one, but if it shows a true blue color in the sun, then it is one. Most agate in this region are more smoky blue-gray to a slate gray in color. Which are not Ellensburg Blue agates.

My conclusion: It looks more like a smoke, not strong enough blue tone to be classified as an authentic Ellensburg Blue. It is a nice specimen with the beautiful striations, that particular find is a good one.

1 Like

Ellensberg blue is characterized by a purplish cast. So, in that case its more of a quality than a geographic designation.

2 Likes

i’ve been to Ellensburg few times, never got the luck to find any blue agate, but it’s always a good adventure to do. :+1:t2::bouquet: